District Barwani was formed on 25th May 1998. It was carved out of West-Nimar, Khargone district. Barwani is situated on the south-west side of Madhya Pradesh as well as holy river Narmada is its northern border. District is surrounded by Satpuda (in South) and Vindhyachal (in North) forest ranges.
The name Barwani originated from the forests of Bad which had surrounded the city in old times, Wani is the old word for the Garden. Hence the city is known as Barwani, which means the Garden of Bads.
Town Barwani was the capital of old Barwani State before 1948. This small State was spared by British, Mughals and Marathas because of its rocky terrain and less productive soil. The Rana dynasty ruled the state throught the history. The history of this dynasty goes back to 13th century.
Town Barwani was also know as Badnagar and Siddha Nagar. The place is also famous for Chool Giri, Jain pilgrimage centre of Bawangaja.
Barwani has a Historic Symbol which is known as TIR-GOLA. It is located at Khandwa-Baroda Road, in front of Sagar Vilas Palace and was built in the memory of late son of Raja Ranjit Singh.
Before Independence Barwani was known as ‘The Paris of Nimar’.
District is situated between Latitudes 21°37′ to 22°22′ North and Longitudes 74°27′ to 75°30′ East. District Barwani forms border with district Khargone in east, Gujrat state far in west, district Dhar in north and Mahrashtra state in south. District is triangular in shape with the highest point in west.
The town Barwani is situated near the left bank of the Narmada River.
Population of district Barwani is 13,85,881 (Census-2011) with 27.57% growth in the decade.